Iconix Acquires Ecko Unltd. and Marc Ecko Cut & Sew

Iconix Brand Group pic
Iconix Brand Group
Image: iconixbrand.com

The managing partner of New York City’s CoMetrics for more than a decade, Gary D. Herwitz has overseen a number of high-profile business acquisitions. In 2013, Gary Herwitz presided over a CoMetrics staff that provided financial advice to Marc Ecko Enterprises in a key transaction with the Iconix Brand Group.

At the time of this 2013 transaction, the brand licensing and marketing company Iconix already owned 51 percent of IP Holdings Unltd. (IPHU), the entity that previously controlled the Marc Ecko Enterprises divisions Ecko Unltd. and Marc Ecko Cut & Sew. CoMetrics represented Marc Ecko Enterprises in the sale of the remaining 49 percent of interest in IPHU. Iconix paid $45 million for the remaining interest while relieving IPHU of current financial obligations.

In the wake of the transaction, Marc Ecko Enterprises continued to act as the core apparel licensee for the Ecko Unltd. and Marc Ecko Cut & Sew brands. Marc Ecko Enterprises was founded by fashion designer Marc Ecko in 1993 and became a favorite of prominent hip-hop artists such as the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy’s Chuck D.

Advertisements